Editor’s note: This article originally appeared on our Ground Work, but we received such positive feedback we thought we’d share it on our blog too.
Organic sales have been steadily increasing since 2006, and there’s no sign of it slowing down. Today’s consumer demands organic products, and we’re here to help farmers fulfill those demands efficiently.
Today 5,300 farmers plan to increase their organic production and 170,000 acres are currently being transitioned to organic production, according to the Organic Production Survey by NASS. Of those 170,000 acres, our customers are responsible for a large percentage.
Many are transitioning only part of their acres, with long-term goals of transitioning all their acres within 5 years. Take this first-year transition soybean field, for instance. The farmer has been using our Residuce® O on 150 acres. With minimal weed pressure, the soybeans look phenomenal. This particular farmer plans on transitioning the remaining 850 acres in the next 4 years.
While it can be nerve-wracking navigating the transition years with lots of expenses and little income, many well-known buyers have started offering premiums for transitional organic grains. Lately that’s been the biggest concern – how can I make it through the 3-year transition period financially? Well this could help!
Currently 3 buyers are offering premiums for transitional grain:
- Stonebridge LTD – Stonbebridge is looking for 3,000+ Midwest transition soybean acres. Premiums available at $4 over CBOT/clean weight.
- Grain Millers – Grain Millers is looking for transitional oats, hard red spring wheat, and hard red winter wheat.
- Clarkson Grain – Clarkson Grain is looking for certified transitional corn, soybeans, wheat, and dry beans.
- Tim Daley, Stonebridge, 319-277-4277
- Lykke Westgren, Grain Millers transitional oats, 952-983-1299
- Jessie VanderPoel, Grain Millers transitional hard red wheat, 952-983-1277
- George Kalogridis, Clarkson Grain, 217-763-0089
Or your AgriEnergy Resources rep at 815-872-1190!